Vegan pumpkin roll is an easy and delicious recipe that you can make for breakfast, brunch or even a healthy snack. It’s so good you won’t believe it’s vegan. They are traditionally made with eggs, butter and sugar, but this vegan pumpkin roll is so much better than that. In this easy and simply explained recipe, you will learn how to make a vegan pumpkin roll that tastes just as good as the real thing.
It’s based on a side dish which usually consists of potatoes, carrots and onions cooked with spices and baking soda. The result is a crispy outside, fluffy inside texture. Vegan pumpkin rolls can be made in various ways too, all depend on your personal taste preferences and what ingredients you have at home. Whether you prefer sweet or spicy treats, this recipe should do the trick.
What is a vegan pumpkin roll?
A vegan pumpkin roll is a chinese pumpkin roll that is completely free of eggs and dairy ingredients. You can find these around in china and some southeast Asian countries like Singapore. They are nothing like the traditional American version where the pumpkin was boiled, mashed and then filled with eggs. Instead, the vegetable of the season, winter squash, is used in this recipe. The batter is made from all-purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, turmeric and salt. The sweet potato is added towards the end of the cooking process to ensure a soft yet crispy outside.
What you need for Vegan Pumpkin Roll Recipe?
You will need: – 3/4 cup all-purpose flour – 1/2 teaspoon baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon salt – 1 large sweet potato – 1/2 cup water -Vegan Pumpkin Roll Batter – optional – For garnish – Sesame seeds, roasted peanuts and fresh coriander leaves .
How to make vegan pumpkin roll?
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, turmeric and salt. Make a well in the center and place the sweet potato in it. Make a well in the middle and pour in the water. Mix everything together with your hands until the sweet potato is completely submerged in the batter. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes before baking.
For the sweet potato filling: Peel and grate the sweet potato and place in a bowl. Pour the batter for the vegan pumpkin roll over the sweet potato and mix gently to ensure that it does not stick to the potato. One way to check if the sweet potato is fully cooked is to gently run a spoon lengthwise into the bowl. You should see the batter completely disappear.
Optional: To get a firmer roll, place a cupcake liner inside the bottom of a 9-inch round pan.
For garnish: To top off the finished product, sprinkle some sesame seeds, roasted peanuts and fresh coriander leaves on top of the vegan pumpkin roll.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375F for 12 minutes. Line the bottom of a roll pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides with oil.
- In a bowl, cream together the pumpkin and granulated sugar only.
- Icing sugar is for sprinkling on the towel to roll the cake.
- Add the oil and vanilla and mix until blended well.
- Stir in half the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, blending until just mixed. Add the balance flour mix and blend it once again.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan, preferably using an offset spatula. The spread batter will be very thin.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan out of the oven. Loosen the edges of the cake with a butter knife and invert onto a clean dish towel sprinkled with the icing sugar. Peel of the parchment paper.
- Roll from the long side of the cake, wrapping it in the towel. Let the cake cool on a cooling rack for at least an hour.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling meanwhile.
Simple and easy vegan pumpkin roll
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch square pan with a cupcake liner or use a large muffin tin. Place the bowl with the sweet potato filling on the larger baking pan and make sure it does not touch the bottom of the pan. This will prevent the sweet potato mixture from burning. Use the back of your hands to press the sweet potato mixture against the cupcake liner until it completely fills the pan. Bake the vegan pumpkin roll for 30-40 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown and firm. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes before serving.
For the optional toppings: Sprinkle some sesame seeds, roasted peanuts and fresh coriander leaves on top of the baked vegan pumpkin roll.
How to make vegan pumpkin roll without baking
- In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, agave nectar and water and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool.
- Once the sweet potato mixture has cooled, add the maple syrup mixture, baking soda, turmeric, salt and ginger and mix well. Make a well in the middle of the batter and pour in the vanilla extract.
- Place the sweet potato filling in the middle of the batter and roll the batter up into a tight ball.
- Place the ball in the lined cupcake pan and smooth the top with the back of your hand.
Tips for making Vegan Pumpkin Roll:
You can make these rolls ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator. The longer you keep them, the fresher they will taste. You can also freeze the rolls, pour out the excess moisture and pop them back into the baking pan. If you want your rolls to be firmer, add about 1/4 cup all-purpose flour to the flour mixture. If your sweet potato filling gets too sweet for your liking, add 1/2 tablespoon sugar or honey to the batter. Don’t add too much baking soda as it might give the rolls an overall lemony flavor.
For a richer flavour, add to the batter 1/4 cup dark brown sugar or even sweeter like ghee.
For a crunchier texture, top your rolls with toasted sesame seeds, peanuts and fresh coriander leaves.
Nutrition information for Vegan Pumpkin Roll
Before you eat your vegan pumpkin roll, first check the nutrition facts. It will give you an idea of how your roll stacks up to others and help you make an informed decision. Nutrition Facts Vegan Pumpkin Roll Amount Per Serving (1 roll) Calories 91 % Daily Value* Total Fat 4g 6% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 2mg 3% Sodium 6mg 2% Carbohydrates 24g 9% Fiber 0g 0% Sugar 15g 20% Protein 4g 8% * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
What’s next after vegan pumpkin roll?
After making this easy yet flavorful recipe for vegan pumpkin roll, you will definitely be hooked for life. The possibilities for vegan pumpkin rolls are almost endless. You can make them for holidays, for snack or for a healthy breakfast. Your family and friends will surely love these delicious rolls. Try some new recipes and discover new ingredients that you never thought of using before. Your heart and soul will surely enjoy this treat. Have a great fall and come back with brand new recipes for the winter.