The traditional version of the healthy roasted red pepper soup is made with potatoes, celery and carrots, but this healthy roasted red pepper soup is much healthier and tastier. This post is not about the health benefits of roasted red chilies. It’s also about how to make the best roasted red pepper soup you’ll ever make. I recently had the opportunity to travel to Spain to photograph an authentic tapas bar and meet my tapas inspiration Laura Barcello-Herrera. As we walked around “La Historica” (The Historic), our host suggested we check out one of his favorite spots for their signature Spanish specialty – roasted red peppers.
It would be a first for me. I have no idea why I’ve never heard of this dish before or why it’s so good, it’s definitely not something I would have ordered as a kid growing up in New York City. Because it was my first time in Spain where I could try these wonderful dishes myself, I decided to make my own version at home: Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Soup.
What is Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Soup is a delicious and easy soup made with roasted red peppers and a few other healthy seasonings. The soup is made with potatoes, carrots, and a variety of types of meat and fish that are included in the recipe. Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Soup is a great dish to make when you’re short on time or just want a comfort food on a cold day. The flavor is mild enough to accompany any meal, and the ingredients are relatively inexpensive.
How to Make Healthy Roasted Pepper Soup
If you are making Healthy Roasted Pepper Soup for the first time, start by roasting the red peppers in a 400°F oven for about 20 minutes. The peppers should be a deep dark red color and completely leafy. Once roasted, remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing and pureeing the peppers in a food processor or blender. Once pureed, put them in a large jar and pour a little water. Place jar in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 12 ounce jars roasted bell peppers
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh torn basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the cauliflower and red pepper pieces on a large baking sheet and add a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill for 25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the vegetables are almost done grilling, heat a large pot over medium-low heat, adding the other tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, thyme and paprika and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the roasted vegetables, along with the vegetable broth, and stir well to combine.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, then puree in batches
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut cream.
Make your own roasted red pepper paste
If you feel like preparing and making your own roasted red chili paste, you can certainly buy it at the store, but why not make it at home for the health benefits? This recipe uses roasted red chili peppers, but you can also use roasted and crushed red chili sauce in many recipes like paella or even Kerala puri or dosa. Always store pasta in an airtight container to keep it fresh and tasty.
Some Tips for making Healthy Roasted Pepper Soup
The smaller you can chop up the carrots and celery, the quicker they’re going to cook. Do a bit of prep work beforehand, and cooking them will be a breeze.
– Make sure that you don’t get distracted while the soup is simmering. You don’t want to burn the soup as that flavor will come through when eating it.
– Take your time using the immersion blender. There shouldn’t be huge chunks of veggies in this soup. It should be nice and creamy. You can also use a blender and puree the soup in batches if you prefer.
– Now that Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Soup is done, all you have left to do is enjoy it.
Best Cheap Way to make Easy Red Pepper Soup
If you’re on a budget or don’t want to go the extra mile to make a healthy and easy roasted chili soup, you can always make a basic version of this soup with inexpensive vegetables from the grocery store. If you want to make this soup healthier, you can also use cheaper meats like pork roast or shoulder instead of ground beef. While you’re at it, why not make a few variations like healthy Cabbage Potato Soup or Ham