Does your family love Mexican food as much as mine? If you’re like me and have a hard time making it through a meal without devouring some form of chips and salsa, this Creamy Salsa Chicken might be the answer to your prayers. It’s so easy to make, you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. And It’s one of the healthiest dishes you can make for weeknight meals. The creaminess of the sauce, spices, lime juice and chicken all combine to create this winning combination that makes for an insanely tasty protein-packed meal.
What you need for Creamy Salsa Chicken
For this recipe, you’ll need: – 1 pound 90% lean ground chicken and 10% fat – 1/4 cup sour cream – 1/4 cup finely chopped onion – 1/4 cup finely chopped bell peppers – 2 cloves garlic, minced – 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped – 1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped – 1/4 cup chicken broth – 1/4 cup agave nectar – 1 tablespoon white sugar – 1 tablespoon tomato paste – 1 tablespoon lime juice – 1/4 cup water – 1/4 teaspoon salt – 1/8 teaspoon pepper – 1/2 teaspoon chili oil – 1/2 cup arugula – 1/2 cup cotija cheese – 1/2 cup sliced scallions – Lime wedges
How to make Creamy Salsa Chicken
In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, sour cream, onion, peppers, and garlic. Use your hands to break up the ingredients until they are well combined. Set aside in a sealed container. In another bowl, whisk together the cilantro, tomatoes, chicken broth, agave nectar, sugar, tomato paste, lime juice, water, salt, pepper, and chili oil. Mix the ingredients from bowl one into the ground chicken until well combined. Place the bowl with the ground chicken in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour. In the meantime, clean and wash your ingredients. In the same bowl with the ground chicken, rinse and drain the vegetables and then mix them into the chicken.
Creamy Salsa Chicken – The Ultimate One-Pot Meal
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F
- Lay the chicken breast flat in a large baking dish
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and salsa together until combined
- Top with cheddar cheese. Then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro if desired
The Best part of Creamy Salsa Chicken
The best part about this dish is that it is super easy to make and only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. The first thing you need to do is get the ingredients for this dish right.
- Once you’ve got the basics down, you can add more vegetables or protein to make this recipe more interesting.
- And last but not least, make sure you use a salsa that compliments your chicken well.
- You can also add potatoes or corn to make this dish more filling.
Make it vegan with non-dairy milk and tofu
If you want to make this recipe vegan with no changes, simply remove the yogurt and cheese from the recipe. However, you should probably leave the skins on the tomatoes as they impart a wonderful flavor to the dish. Make sure you use a flavorful salsa to go with this.
Find the perfect salsa for this recipe
There are so many salsa options out there that it can be hard to know which one to use. So to make this recipe easier, I recommend you use the following salsa:
Salsa Verde – This is my family’s favorite and most popular salsa. It is made with green salsa and has a mild, savory flavor.
Salsa Nueva – This is another popular salsa and it is made with sweet corn and has a rich, savory flavor.
Salsa Roja – This is the classic salsa and it is made with tomatoes, red peppers and is very spicy.
Tips for making Creamy Salsa Chicken even better
– Make sure you use lean, 85/15% chicken breast for this recipe.
– If you’re not a big fan of spiciness, leave out the red pepper and use a lower salt solution.
– Make sure you use fresh, quality ingredients when making this recipe.
– Creaminess of the sauce, spices, lime juice and chicken combine to create the winning combination that makes for an insanely tasty.
– You can also add potatoes or corn to make this dish more filling.
– Add a drizzle of olive oil to the bowl when serving to make the dish even more lip-smacking good.
Is there a readymade version of this recipe?
There is a readymade version of this recipe, but be careful because it contains peanuts. This is not a good idea because it could lead to almond and/or peanut allergies. You should always check the ingredients of any food you consume to make sure it is free of allergens.
What to drink with Creamy Salsa Chicken
One of the best aspects about this meal is that you can have it for any situation. Whether you’re missing home or just need a boost of energy, this healthy and hearty meal is for you.
Side dish recommendations for Creamy Salsa Chicken
For a healthy side dish to go with this dish, try:
Veggies – bell peppers, sweet bell peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, You can also add a drizzle of olive oil to the bowl when serving to make the dish even more lip-smacking good.
Noodles – If you are not a big fan of spicy foods, try this. It is made with mild mixtures of veggies and is incredibly healthy.
Cilantro rice – Cilantro rice is another healthy rice dish that goes well with this dish. It is made with plenty of cilantro and is very popular in southeast Asia.
Turn your favorite tortilla wrap into a bowl
You can also turn your favorite tortilla wrap into a bowl by lining it with a damp towel, cheesecloth, or even a pursue. You can then spoon out the contents of the bowl and place it in the tortilla wrap to make a taco. This is such a simple but delicious meal that you can make for your family or guests with very little effort. It doesn’t get much easier than that.